Friday, May 16, 2008

Estate Sale

I had never been to an estate sale so I went and checked one out today. I didn't expect it to be as sad as it was. The caretakers of this lady's estate brought in a management company to hold the sale. This lady had so much crap and they priced everything way too high. Room after room full of clothes, shoes and random house stuff. They even had her makeup and tooth paste for sale! She had purchased hundreds of dollars of Chanel and other high end make-up. They were selling it for $6 - $10. Who would even pay $1 for someone's used cosmetics? Gross. I was beginning to think this person had no children and died alone but I found a few pillows and tea towls with "supposed to be" funny sayings about being a mom. From looking at her belongings, I would say this person was in her 50's to 60's. I bought a NYC Ballet workout DVD that I heard was good..it was unopened and a neat silver spoon. She bought all this stuff and now she's gone and here we all were....strangers picking through her belongings. I was in one of the upstairs bedrooms that had even more clothes and shoes and another browser said to me...can you believe that one person could have so much stuff? Just sad. She had spent thousands on cosmetics, clothes and unopened fitness equipment. It made me think about the lengths this woman went to in the hopes of looking better or being happier, but in the end none of it really mattered. I'm going to go clean out my closet.

No comments: